E-MIXION 2030: UNOX UNVEILS PLAN TO BECOME NET ZERO BY 2030
2 July 2021
Cedabond Supplier, UNOX, launches global sustainability project to cut environmental impact.
UNOX has launched Net Zero E-miXion 2030, a new multi-million-pound action plan to achieve net zero carbon emissions across the global business by 2030.
The 10-step strategy includes the introduction of electric vehicles, biogas trucks, on-site renewable energy generation, utilising fully recyclable packaging and the use of green materials in all factories.
Plans are under way to create additional state of the art factories in Padova, Italy, running on clean energy due to the inclusion of geothermic heat pumps and solar panels.
By 2030 the business is hoping to produce 3.75MWh of electricity per year with solar panels to compensate for the current fossil fuel consumption.
Working with Padova University, UNOX is planting high oxygen producing plants on the factory development site to produce an ‘oxygen factory’, which will remain in place while work progresses to complete the new factory by 2027.
Achieving sustainability targets
The UK was the first major economy in the world to pass a net zero emissions law when it set a target in 2019 to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050. Italy set a target of a 33% reduction by 2030 in its most recent energy plan but the Italian Prime Minister has since announced plans to adjust the target to emissions-reduction of 55% by 2030.
Scott Duncan, managing director of UNOX UK, said: “We already have in place a number of mitigation techniques to reduce emissions across the global UNOX business, but we recognise that we need to do more if we are to achieve net zero by 2030. This project sets out those additional measures, which include significant investments in carbon removal technologies to help achieve our goal.
“Efficiency is at the core of our product development, helping our customers to achieve their sustainability goals through innovative products which are ENERGY STAR certified and packed with features to help operators improve efficiency and reduce energy costs in the kitchen.
“However, sustainable performance in 2021 goes beyond purchasing energy efficient products. It is vital for operators to demonstrate sustainability throughout their supply chain and that includes working with suppliers who are committed to reducing their own emissions across the business. We all have a part to play and E-miXion 2030 is our plan to ensure UNOX leads the field in that respect.”
UNOX E-MIXION 2030 in numbers:
- 2030 – UNOX target to achieve net zero emissions across the business
- 4.2GWh – amount of electricity consumed by UNOX factories per year, by 2030
- 3.75MWh – amount of electricity generated per year from solar panels on UNOX factories by 2030
- 42,000 – cubic metres of natural gas to heat factories and offices
- H2 – Hydrogen will be the fuel of choice for trucks moving forward
- 9 – the current number of electric charging stations at UNOX HQ
- 3 – the number of Teslas delivered to UNOX in March 2021. The company fleet will be gradually replaced with full electric vehicles.
- 1 – 1 degree less of heating in Winter can save up to 10% of the energy used